15 June 2012

Cormorant MkIII - Ancillary shield boosted



Yep another Cormorant.

Just when I thought I had a fit that I liked and I could not improve upon I saw Kovorix video Everlasting II . Which is another very good video of his and probably his best one so far. Go and check it out if you have not.

What caught my eye in this vid is the last fight. 2 Maelstroms take on a  fleet and beat them without to much trouble so it seems. Kovorix seems to quit easily tank the incoming DPS and the reason seems to be that he is using 2 XL Ancillary shield boosters. 

Now the ancillary shield boosters are new modules that came with Inferno. I have never used them before as I have never been into shield boosters and I wanted to keep things simple while I was learning PvP with as few active mods as possible. But seeing Kovorix use them with such effectiveness I got inspired. I wanted to see if they could work on smaller ships. I wanted to see if a ancillary shield booster would work on a Cormorant. 

Till now I had never played with this new module but I got a real good impression on how they worked from watching the video and Kovorix also showed how they could be used effectively. Most importantly , what was new for me to see in that is is that you can use the booster gradually. You don't have to use all the boosters all in one activation. I kinda had the impression before that you just had to turn it on and that was it. You can for instance use 1/2 of the charges and them stop tanking and continue tanking when needed. Which allows controlled tanking as with any other armor rep or shield booster. 

From what I understand a ancillary shield booster is basically 2 modules put together; a shield booster and a cap booster. It is like an shield booster with its own cap supply. You load it with cap charges as with a cap booster and when you activate the booster it will consume the charges while boosting your shields without using your ships cap. The downside is that is has limited charges so it can be used a limited number of times this way before it needs to reload it's charges which takes 60 seconds. So after  a short time the fun is over  or... you can still run the booster but it will use your ships cap and it will drain your cap real quick.

So basically you got a limited amount of time where you can get a very decent amount of shield boost after which there is a long reload time.

This is one of the fits that I have come up with so far.

[Cormorant, Solo blaster Web Active tank]
Damage Control II

Medium Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 50
Limited 1MN MicroWarpdrive I
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II

Light Electron Blaster II, Void S
Light Electron Blaster II, Void S
Light Electron Blaster II, Void S
Light Electron Blaster II, Void S
Light Electron Blaster II, Void S
Light Electron Blaster II, Void S
Light Electron Blaster II, Void S
Small 'Knave' Energy Drain

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I

Stats (all skills at V):
Tank: 5200 EHP
Boost: 92 EHP (120 overheated) for 30 seconds = 2750 (3600 OH) extra EHP
DPS: 285 (327 overheated)
CAP: Stable
Velocity: 1531km/s (2141 OH)

I have been testing this fit and another variation of it on sisi and so far it seems to perform better than my older versions. If it is good enough .. idk yet. I got 10 hulls on the production lines in Dodixie as I write this to test them in the wild on TQ . I hope I will be able to take them out for a spin this weekend.

I also noticed that with the tracking bonuses of the destroyer class in combination with the web that the tracking reduction of Void isn't much of a factor anymore. So I have switched to Void for its better DPS and its longer optimal over faction antimatter ammo.

The NOS is still something that could change out for a few Ion blasters. It is there now to help me in prolonged fights when my booster runs out and I'll be boosting on my ships capacitor. I am not sure yet if will be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment