20 March 2012

Evaluation (part 1)

It has been three months since I have started on my new path in EVE. It is time for an evaluation of my progress so far. 
The length time I have been doing this isn't the main reason for this evaluation, the main reason is that I am not having as much fun as I thought right now and I find myself feeling reluctant to go on my next roam.

Why is this? My goal of becoming a competent PvP pilot is still very inspiring to me. It is a great and interesting project. But my reluctance is coming from the feeling that I have that it is very likely that I will loose yet another ship in a fight in which I don't seem to stand a chance. I have been warned that it can be difficult to keep morale high in the face of continued losses with few wins or sense of progressing or accomplishment.

So, lets look at my KB so far.
Losses: 11 ships and 6 pods. With a total value of 415mil ISK (315mil if I deduct insurance).


Kills: 3 ships with a total value of 85mil ISK. Not show here.

Nothing to be bragging about. More like: hmmm.... it might be better for my morale to avoid looking at my battleclinic killboard for a while. ^_^

Fortunately I can say that there has been no lack of fights, on almost every roam I did I got into some kind of skirmish or situation that was interesting. 


Lets evaluate the quality of the fight I had though. 
Did I have 'goodfights' or were all horrible?

Well if I look back at the fights I have had of all the losses I have suffered so far, 6 of them got obliterated in gatecamps, 4 of them were lost because I screwed up in some embarrassing way during the fight, and I lost one ship during, what I experienced as, a GF (a Harby versus Drake 1v1, yeah always the Harby ;)

I also remember having two really enjoyable and exciting fights  that I could have won but didn't because my opponent escaped. This includes the fight versus the Tempest on Saturday.

So its not all bad and horrible, statistically I have a 65% chance of dying horribly, and getting podded. :-) Which is fact is a better number that I expected. I felt it was more like 90%. So feelings can be deceiving.

2 comments:

  1. Solo is pretty tough. I'm having similar trouble doing solo PvP, ie I die alot and don't win alot. In gangs is typically better, right around the 8-15 man mark since quite a bit of small gang PvP happens in that range.

    You will lose lots of ships in PvP, but if you can have fun doing it, then it's worth it. Maybe you should join a pirate corp, or a nullsec corp to help your PvP out (assuming your current corp isn't much good for PvP fleets).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again,
      True, true and true . All valid points. I am sticking to solo because thats the way I wanna do it right now. Solo has a certain quality and freedom that flying in fleets lacks.

      Delete