30 May 2012

First kill in the Cormorant

Yay! First kill on its first trip: An arty Wolf.What a prize and some faction loot as well. Sweet!

Check battleclinic if you are interested in the KM.

He landed at the gate while I was aligning to another gate and we  went at each other right away. He locked first and started shooting, and hitting,  me from 15-20km indicating  that he was arty fit. I was a little confused by that because I had expected AC's. After the fight I checked a few other Wolf fits that were destroyed in the region and most of them were arty fit which is good to know.

After my initial surprise I activated my TD (in which I have a optimal range script loaded most of the time) to cut down his range and damage to manageable levels. I was hoping that this would allow me to get in close without loosing to much HP. 

Being arty fit I expected him to try to keep range and kite me the whole fight which would have been a major problem for me having close range damage projection om my dessy.   

But he did not. And I think he made an error because he attempt to kite me at all and actually closed range.  Maybe this had to to with my TD idk. TD can draw opponent in closer to  keep their DPS up. Maybe that was it, maybe their was another reason but once in scram range it was a matter of keeping him there and letting the blasters do their job  hoping that I would do more damage than he did.

One smart thing that I did is that I set 500m orbit with MWD on. I also expected to be scrammed but since he had a point I could defeat his tracking by doing that. Once in orbit the damage from his turrets stopped almost completely while my turrets were at their best range and happily tracking his ship.

His ship popped when I had 80% structure left. That was still a close fight.

Copying his fit to EFT he had a tank of about 5.5k  with a kinetic hole that worked to my advantage. 5.5k HP tank is still considerable , considering he had 3 nanos fitted so I am happy to see that his ship still went down before given the fact that he had a headstart in DPS and that I lost 25% of my shields before activating my Invul.

Thanks to Sc0r314oN for a GF. o7 Cheers mate.

A real Cormorant.
Now for something completely different .

Just out of curiosity I googled the term "Cormorant" as I didn't know what it meant. I am dutch and my understanding of the English language is limited so I thought it would be interesting to learn something new.  What came up in Google is the picture you see above this text: A sea bird.

Why CCP would name a Destroyer after a seabird is unclear for me. :) Maybe it is a notorious predator in Iceland??? When I was looking for a picture I kinda expected it to be some mystical demon like creature.

Google is a wonderfull instrument so I had a look again but this time at  the mystical meaning of the Cormorant hoping to find something badass. I found this:

Many cultures consider cormorants a symbol of nobility and indulgence. In more recent history, the cormorant is considered a good luck charm for fishermen, or a talisman that will bring a fisherman a bountiful catch.

Hmm .. alright. Noble, bringing good luck.. ...still not very EvE like is it..

But looking further I also found this on the same webpage:

The cormorant is also a symbol of greed and deception in John Milton's epic poem, Paradise Lost, as the form Satan took to disguise himself to enter Eden before tempting Eve.

Aaahh .. there you go.... A more appropriate discription for  an EvE related ship name :-). 

Devil in disguise 

Which game was this again?






No comments:

Post a Comment